Diploma in Sports & Exercise Psychology
Next course commencing:
10 weeks, one evening per week from 6.30 to 9.30pm
Course Fee & Award
classroom-based €995 (€1,095 in instalments)
online course €895 (€995 in instalments)
Non-EU students: €1,295
The Institute of Commercial Management
Understand what drives performance, motivation, leadership and team cohesion
The course is relevant to those interested and involved in the sport and leisure industry eg. coaches, athletes, strength & conditioning professionals, physiotherapists, P.E. Teachers, personal trainers etc. The course may also be of interest to business leaders and managers in terms of understanding what drives performance, staff motivation, leadership and team cohesion. The course will examine a broad range of topical issues with the sport and exercise psychology profession through the application of theory and research.
- To provide students with a sound understanding of key theoretical issues within the field of sport and exercise psychology.
- To enable students to develop an in-depth understanding of the application of theory and research to sport and exercise settings.
- To provide an opportunity for students to gain insight and practical skills that will enhance their work with individuals and groups in a sport and exercise context.
- To facilitate students in acquiring of critical and self-reflective awareness of the individual differences and ethical concerns and implications of applying psychology in sport and exercise settings
- Introduction to Sport Psychology
- What is sport psychology
- The role of & how to become a sport psychologist
- History of sport psychology
- Overview of psychology
- Social Perspectives within sport
- Gender and disability issues in sport
- Children and sport psychology
- Coach/athlete relationship
- Aggression in sport
- Character development and good sporting behaviour
- Individual Considerations within Sport
- Personality in sport
- Arousal, stress and anxiety
- Mental Toughness
- Improving Performance
- Introduction to psychological skills training (PST)
- Arousal Regulation
- Self Confidence
- Team Processes
- Group and team dynamics
- Group cohesion
- Enhancing Health and Well-being
- Exercise and psychological well-being (mental health & mental health literacy)
- Exercise behaviour and adherence
- Addictive and unhealthy behaviours
- Burnout and overtraining
Course overview text
Dr Aoife Quinn is an experienced sports psychologist and equestrian event competitor. Aoife has worked with a range of sports men and women up to the international elite level. She completed her PhD at UCD, where she explored differences between novice and expert equestrian competitors. Aoife focuses on evidence-based skills and techniques for success in sports. In 2014, Aoife was awarded an Enterprise Partnership Scholarship by the Irish Research Council in conjunction with Horse Sports Ireland. Aoife was appointed a committee member of the Psychological Society of Ireland Division of Sport, Exercise, and Performance Psychology in 2016.
(€1,095 if paying in instalments)
Online course: €895
(€995 if paying in instalments)
Non-EU students: €1,295
£76 will be payable to The Institute of Commercial Management on successful completion
A pass grade on the assignment will be required for awarding of the Diploma. A fail grade will result in a Certificate of Attendance for the course but without the Diploma being awarded. Students must attend at least 10 of the 12 evenings to graduate with either the Diploma or Certificate of Attendance unless a serious and verifiable reason for further absence is provided. Similarly, the Project must be handed in on the due date unless a sound reason for lateness is provided. In such instances, an extension may be awarded at the discretion of the lecturer.
- Why City Colleges?
- Courses for students who are passionate about their subject, delivered by leaders in their field.
- Live lectures which are also streamed live on Moodle and recorded for review
- City centre location in South Great George’s Street, convenient for bus, LUAS, DART
- Southside Dublin location in Dundrum
- Study rooms and library in our City Centre and Dundrum locations
- Limited class size